Boulder Speeding Ticket Lawyer
If you received a speeding ticket in Boulder and you don’t agree with why the police issued the ticket, you can fight your ticket in traffic court. Reach out to a speeding ticket attorney in Boulder to create a strong defense against the police.
When you’re driving down the road and see the Boulder police pull up behind you, you’ll likely get a sinking feeling in your stomach. Though a speeding ticket is minor compared to other crimes, it can ruin your day and damage your driving record. It’s essential to fight your speeding ticket if you believe the ticket is unjustified.
At Justice for Colorado, we work hard to defend drivers in Boulder. We know that the police can issue tickets for invalid reasons, and our goal is to reduce or dismiss your penalties. A Boulder speeding ticket lawyer from our team can assess your situation and determine whether you should make a plea bargain or plead innocence in court.
Consequences for Speeding in Boulder
The consequences you’ll face for speeding in Boulder will depend on the speed limit in the area and how fast you were driving over the speed limit. Penalties for speeding over the reasonable speed or over the maximum speed limit of 75 mph in Boulder include:
- 1-4 mph over results in a fine of $30
- 5-9 mph over results in a fine of $70
- 10-19 mph over results in a fine of $135
- 20-24 mph over results in a fine of $200
If you’re caught speeding 25 mph or more over the reasonable speed or the maximum speed limit of 75 mph, the police can charge you with a criminal misdemeanor. You may receive a fine between $300 and $1,000 and a jail sentence between ten days and one year.
How the Point System in Colorado Works
Colorado uses a point system to penalize drivers for moving violations. Once a driver receives too many points on their driving record, the state suspends their license. Speeding violations deliver more points to a driver’s record when the speeding is more severe. The point system works as follows:
- Speeding 5-9 mph over the limit: one point added
- Speeding 10-19 mph over the limit: four points added
- Speeding 20-39 mph over the limit: six points added
Defense Strategies Your Lawyer May Use in Boulder Traffic Court
There are many defense strategies your speeding ticket lawyer in Boulder may use to support you in court and prove you’re innocent or deserving of a second chance. Some common defense strategies include:
- Maintaining safety — It’s possible that you were speeding to maintain safety.
- Lack of evidence — The Boulder police may not have evidence to charge you with speeding.
- Mistake of fact — You may not have known the speed limit when the police pulled you over.
- Necessary actions — It’s possible that you were speeding for a necessary reason.
Contact a Boulder Speeding Ticket Attorney
You shouldn’t give up on fighting your speeding ticket if you don’t think you were speeding. To determine how to dismiss or reduce your ticket, contact a Boulder speeding ticket lawyer from Justice for Colorado and schedule a free consultation. You can reach us by filling out the contact form below or by calling 303-647-9691.